Monday, June 18, 2018

The Book is Better?

Hello everyone!

I am a bit late starting my blog this summer, but it is already shaping up to be quite a busy summer for the Boos household!

This summer we are making a trip down to Disney World, so I thought it would be fun to read the original story versions of the Disney stories with my children and then re-watch the movies before heading down to Disney.

The boys and I started off with "The Jungle Book" by Rudyard Kipling. This is proving to be a bit of a challenging read for the boys (and somewhat for myself). The language is pretty difficult to get used to, since it includes words such as "thee" and "thou" that the boys are not used to seeing in their "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books. We are just a little more than halfway through the book right now, and our plans are to finish by this weekend and then enjoy a family movie night watching the Disney version of the movie. So far, there is quite a bit of a difference between the book and movie, but I will let you know the final verdict when we finish the book.


Juliet started off with the Grimm version of the story of "Snow White." This was not a challenging read at all, and Juliet was very enthralled while listening to the story, but be warned that it is quite a bit darker than the movie version. I don't want to give too much away, but I will tell you that the evil queen has not just one plot to kill Snow White, but three different ways she tries to trick her. She also eats the heart of the wild boar (which she thought was Snow White's heart), so that was a bit much to take in, and the prince comes off as extra creepy, at least from my point of view. At the end Snow White wakes up in a much different way than the romanticized, true love's kiss version of the movie. It's still a great story, but I think my daughter preferred the movie, which was much more kid-friendly.



Next week, I will be reading "Alice in Wonderland" with the boys and several other stories with Juliet, including the Brothers Grimm version of "Cinderella."

I hope that you are all having a magical and educational summer with your children as well!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment