Friday, June 23, 2017

Rock and Roll and Sculpture!

This week I was really excited because we were able to learn about my favorite musical genre - rock and roll, baby! The boys started out the week learning about "The King" of rock and roll himself - Elvis Presley, then moved on to The Beatles, and after that I let them choose whomever they would like to learn about, as long as it related to rock and roll. Ethan ended his week researching my all-time favorite band, Aerosmith!

In addition to our music for the week, we have also been trying our hands at sculpture, which we all found is much harder than it looks! I purchased some air-dry clay for us to use, but we quickly discovered that it is very difficult to get it to stick together before it dries. Most of our works of art crumbled pretty quickly. Here is a glimpse of my art project before it completely fell apart.



On Thursday, we took a little road trip east to Dallas. What week of learning about rock and roll would be complete without a trip to the Hard Rock Cafe? We enjoyed our delicious lunch, and the kids were able to see some great memorabilia from artists they have been learning about throughout the week.



Elvis's hat and outfit from one of his movies


A Beatles jacket (of course)


We had to stop to get a picture of a huge poster of one of my favorite bands at the House of Blues!

After lunch, we walked a few blocks over to the Dallas Museum of Art. The general admission to this museum is free, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much they had to see with the free admission! We made sure to pay special attention to the sculptures, since that was our focus this week, but I was also happy to see some paintings by some of my favorite Impressionist painters, and Alex enjoyed the Picassos as well.


Alex enjoyed making sketches of some of his favorite pieces.


This one scared Alex a bit.



The DMA also has a huge sculpture garden outside where you can walk around to view the art, or just sit and relax a bit or enjoy a bite to eat. Next door to the DMA is the Nasher Sculpture Center, but I had a very tired a cranky three-year-old, so we will hopefully check that out next time.

On our way back to the parking garage, we had to stop by to check out Klyde Warren Park. This great park located in the middle of the city is fairly new, and has many food trucks, lots of great places to sit and relax, and a fun kids area to explore, which included a unique splash pad and climbing obstacles.



We don't get the chance to go to Dallas often, so it was nice to go and discover some of the great things the city has to offer. The kids really enjoyed themselves, and I was pleasantly surprised how much they enjoyed visiting the art museum (especially my little creative buddy, Alex).

At the end of next week, we will be making a road trip across Texas, so to prepare us for the journey, we will be learning about country music and drawing! Hope you come visit us again next week!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing such an amazing job this summer teaching our kids and showing my them how to love life and love learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I hope I can take 1/3 of you and teach my kid the way you do! You truly are a born teacher and I admire you so much!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete