Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Vamanos a Mexico!

I am trying something new with my children this summer to keep them engaged and learning throughout these few down months before school starts back up. This year, we are going to be studying a new country every week and completing different projects, doing activities, and eating various foods from that country as well.

Last week, my children stayed with their grandparents while my husband and I traveled to Mexico for a tenth anniversary celebration. Since we were spending time in Mexico, I thought a great country to start with for the children would be Mexico as well! They studied different books and took notes about Mexico and also learned about the Mayan culture, since my husband and I visited a Mayan archaeological site while on our trip.



This is my husband, Bruce, and I at the top of the pyramid in Coba. This is one of the tallest Mayan pyramids, and the only one left that you can actually climb. It was pretty scary, but I am proud that we were able to make it up. The hardest part was going back down with no kind of safety net or harness!

Since I was not able to guide them along as they were learning about Mexico, we celebrated at the end of the week with our own little Mexican fiesta when we got home.







They also received a stamp on their own little passport, and a pin on their summer travel bags.



The kids seemed excited about their first mini-journey of the summer, but they are in for a whole lot more! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment